Samba for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7
- autoconf build was removed in Samba 4.1
- autoconf build for Samba 4.0
- Contains a "requirement to have access to Python 2.4 and perl" and if "unacceptable, and for these users we continue to provide the 'autoconf' build system used in Samba 3.x under the source3/. This will build fewer parts of Samba, but should not be seen as 'the file server build' (typical file server deployments should use the top level build), but as a measure provided with limited features for systems and organizations unable to meet the requirements for the new build system".
- SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 Supplement CD 5
- Samba File and Print Server 3.0.20a
Building an updated Samba on SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 is a challenge. SCO stopped sending patches upstream when they stopped updating Samba on this platform. The last known release they made was 3.0.20a for Maintenance Pack 5. Some patch information can be gleaned from source published on SCO web sites, but there appears to be at least one patch missing that is referenced by the latest build scripts found there.
Also, with the passage of time and the deprecation of the SMB1 protocol, it has become irrelevant to build newer Samba versions. Since SMB2 was only supported in Samba 3.6.x, upstream sources have had a lot of time to accumulate incompatibilities with SCO OpenServer 5.0.7.
As use was restricted to smbclient, it seemed plausible that one might greatly reduce the scope of incompatibilities by completely ignoring build of any samba sources not directly depended on by it.
Early efforts to try to build Samba from upstream sources similar to SCO-published sources were not successful. Little documentation was organized, though this seems likely to be of little consequence after achieving success with building smbclient 3.6.26. Nevertheless, should a larger effort ever be undertaken to compile a larger portion of Samba sources, it should be noted that SCO-published sources contain some patches that could offer some insight into changes required to build the project on a SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 system.
Later effort produced some documentation:
- A public copy of README.sco3.2v5.0.7.
README.sco3.2v5.0.7 instructions reference a github fork of samba sources modified to build properly on a build system that is also described in the document.